Wednesday, 29 December 2010

Experimentation 2

After some reflection on the previous post I have been investigating some alternative techniques in relation to microphone placement. I chose to film a similar sequence but this time the microphone capsules were pointed in towards the ear canal as opposed to away from the canal towards the source. This idea was suggested by Tchad Blake in a question and answer session on this site. The post is dated 22nd April 2007.

The results of this were quite different than the previous recording. No post EQ has been added and although the frequencies at the top end are slightly attenuated there is no real discernible difference.

This recording seemed to offer more in the way of height information and overall separation. The left channel is slightly louder than the right channel causing some inaccuracies. Again the effects of this are negligible. I will probably have another two or three attempts at recording this to ensure that when I do move into the final production phase the problems will have been ironed out.

I will use this recording to experiment with the 'Wave Arts Panorama' Plug-in in order to try to simulate more HRTF's. The results will be posted in the next entry.

Binaural Dry Tooling Movie with alternative mic placement.

Dry Tooling 2 (Alternative mic placement) from Colin Gunning on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment