Friday, 31 December 2010

Experimentation 3



As part of the Pre-Production module, I had planned to incorporate in the final submission, the use of software plug-ins to create spatial environments. During the research for this particular aspect I came across a plug-in called 'Panorama' by a company called Wave Arts. I have used plug-ins by this company in the past, specifically for music production and have been impressed with the results.

The Panorama plug-in is aimed at those who are creating audio for use with mobile devices, specifically, those who listen primarily over headphones. The plug-in 'uses Head-Related Transfer Functions (HRTFs) to reproduce binaural sound localization cues' . The plug-in is supplied with the HRTFs of a dummy head and some human heads.

I used the stereo material from the binaural recording I made previously and ran this through the plug-in, experimenting with various HRTFs. The results were far from satisfactory, providing little in the way of suitable height or positional differences compared with the raw recording. This may be because the plug-in has been designed to deal with stereo or mono signals that have been recorded using a static configuration where phase relationships and frequency are more constant and less complicated than that of my own HRTFs.

Wave Arts Panorama Plug-in showing settings used:



Equalisation used to modify frequency content of recorded stereo signal:



This is the same video as "experimentation 2' but using the techniques described above.

Dry Tooling 3 from Colin Gunning on Vimeo.



To follow on from this I plan to use the stereo microphone in the camera to record audio, hopefully yielding better results from the plug-in.

No comments:

Post a Comment