Friday, 24 December 2010

Experimentation

A crucial part of the developmental process is experimenting with the chosen media. Through the process of experimentation, problems that may arise during the production phase can be identified and prepared for. New ideas will certainly emerge, which in turn may influence the way the process is carried out.

I created this short video to prepare for one of the sequences that I intend to develop for my final project. The final piece will involve filming and recording the sound on an ice climb. As I have discussed in previous posts I am trying to immerse the viewer/listener in the experience. This was my first chance to experiment with some of the technology and processes that will be required for the final production.

This was a chance to find out, if what I was intent on doing, would actually work.

The technique employed to capture the sound for this video was Binaural recording - Using microphones mounted at the entrance to the ear canals. This technique attempts to reproduce extremely accurate azimuth and elevation cues utilising Head Related Transfer Functions or HRTFs. A drawback of binaural recording however is the fact that everyone has a differently shaped head and will therefore perceive sounds differently. What might sound accurate to me may sound completely ineffectual to someone else.

After the recording was made I used a Digital Audio Workstation to synchronise the audio and video before using a video editing package to edit and present the final movie. This allowed me to carry out the complete production process that will be required for the final artifact.

Wearing headphones will produce the best results.

Binaural dry tooling movie from Colin Gunning on Vimeo.



This recording did not produce the results that I thought it would. The stereo image produced is acceptable but the elevation cues are not as accurate as I had expected. Some further experimentation with the positioning of the microphones in the ear is definitely required.

The next stage is to use the footage and sound recording with a plug-in which aims to replicate binaural HRTFs. The results of this further experimentation will be posted shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment